7 Smart Exterior Home ImprovementsTuesday, January 03 2017
Curb appeal is the single most important thing you can be working on when it comes to home improvements, and particularly when it’s time to sell your home. No matter how well your interiors turn out, if your home looks like a hot mess from the curb, potential buyers are going to keep on driving by. That’s why many exterior home improvements are the ones that get you the biggest returns on your investments, often raising the value of your home at the same time. Not all home improvements are created equally, however; these 7 smart exterior home improvements are designed to get you the biggest bang for your buck.
1. New Front DoorIt may sound simple, but replacing an old, low-quality front door with a new steel door can have a major impact on your home’s appearance and value. This small improvement can net you more than 80% ROI, and can really dress up your home’s curb appeal at the same time.
Make the most of this investment by taking it a step further and adding a pediment and some new moldings around it at the same time. This will give your front entrance a lot more interest and depth, making it look more substantial at the same time.
2. Front PorchIn addition to a new front door, a front porch can be a big draw for people viewing your home for the first time. Porches conjure up images of sitting and relaxing in the evenings, and they offer the possibility of additional, usable outdoor space. While a deck is also a highly sought after addition, and can also net your more than 70% ROI, a front porch enhances your curb appeal at the same time, because it’s visible from the front of the house, and one of the first things that people see when they arrive. Coordinate a new front porch with the rest of your home’s architectural features to up its wow factor and increase its value.
3. Fiber Cement SidingNo matter how many upgrades you make to your home’s exterior, if your siding is peeling, rotting, warped, or cracked, most people aren’t going to give it a second look. That may be why fiber cement siding has topped Remodeling Magazine’s Cost vs Value report for the last several years as one of the best investments and improvements you can make to your home.
Fiber cement siding doesn’t peel, chip, crack, warp, or rot. It’s also fire resistant and insect resistant, so you can feel confident that this is one purchase that is going to stand the test of time. Whether you plan on living in your home indefinitely or you’re selling it next year, fiber cement siding can help improve your curb appeal, your home’s value, and its durability all at the same time.
4. Exterior LightingGood lighting is important to any design, and the same is true for your home exteriors as well as your interiors. More than 90% of homeowners and home buyers say that good exterior lighting is something that they want to see on any home. This includes lights beside the front door, accent lighting that shows off details in your architecture, and lighting within your landscaping and any usable outdoor areas.
5. LandscapingNever overlook how important landscaping is to your home’s exterior design. Good landscaping can increase the value of your home by as much as 20%, so take the time to make sure that your landscaping is complementing your home’s exterior. Get rid of overgrown bushes and plants that are obscuring your home, and create a yard and front landscape that’s well laid out and planned so that it highlights the areas of your home you want to show off. Your landscaping should draw and lead people up to your front entryway, welcoming them in.
6. New RoofRoofing is one of the most important parts of your home. It protects your home from the elements and plays a big role in your energy efficiency. So, if your roof is older, leaking, or in disrepair it’s time to invest in a new one.
Newer roofs with architectural shingles are available that help reflect solar rays, which can help prevent your attic from becoming superheated and transferring that heat back down into the rest of your home. This in turn keeps your energy bills lower during the hotter months of the year.
7. Beefier AccentsMid Century Modern home exteriors are extremely popular just now. In addition to this, many homeowners and home buyers are beginning to look at things like porticos, columns, casings, and moldings, and to increase the size and detail in these areas. Instead of skinny columns, opting for a larger, more substantial column increases the curb appeal and the value of the home.
Update Your ExteriorExterior upgrades are some of the smartest moves you can make for your home. Try any of these 7 smart exterior home improvements to increase your curb appeal and home value at the same time.